Sitting through a publicity meeting the other day, I reminded my clients of my standard rules for dealing with the press:
1. The host is giving you millions of dollars worth of publicity, but
2. Remember, “these people are not your friends.”
3. Every question is a trick question.
4. Pause before you answer.
5. Make sure you get across YOUR AGENDA.
6. Set the hook to make the audience want to read more of what you’re saying.
7. Make them want to interview you again.
8. Talk in “sound bites,” memorable short sentences.
9. Show your gratitude.
10. Don’t do the interview AT ALL if your books are not available yet for purchase.
11. Don’t assume your interviewer knows all about you—OR your book.